Thứ Tư, 31 tháng 1, 2018

Auto news on Youtube Feb 1 2018

Today I was presented with the toughest oil filter I have ever had to remove.

It's a very common filter. It's on a lot of Toyotas. It's on the Prius, Corollas, Rav4

It's even on some of the Lexus. Tons of threads out there by people having a heck

of a time getting these off when they're over tightened. Even Toyota printed on

their box: What's that say techs? "DO NOT OVER TORQUE!"

Well somebody definitely went to town on the one I'm working on. These are some of

the tools I've had a lot of luck with in the past. This is a pretty standard metal

strap wrench. It's adjustable. Nope, it did not work on this one. This guy has always

worked. A nylon strap wrench that gets tighter as you use it. Nope! Here's the jaws of death.

It often destroys the filter, but it always got it off. Not this time!

Now we're looking at, this is made for the actual filter. Notice the top will

take either a 27 millimeter or you could plug a socket directly onto it.

Inside you've got fourteen flutes that fit the top and you've got teeth to fit

the ears on the filter cap. Here's the 27mm that I'm going to use to ah - on the top of it.

I'm gonna save you time since I've

already tried it by hand, we're now moving on to - this is the latest and

greatest impact wrench. The maximum setting on this is 300 FT-LBs (according to Ryobi).

Now where is this little bugger? Well, it's right under the passenger

wheel axle. It's right next to it. There it is just waiting. Now I've already

tried all those other tools that I've shown you. So let's go ahead and try this

cast metal cap wrench that's designed specifically for the Toyota filters.

This is just a test. I just wanted to demonstrate how it only fits one way.

Okay so we've got that on there and we've got our 27mm socket.

There's plenty of room, so let's go ahead and put the socket on the impact wrench.

It's on maximum setting. Again, 300 FT-LBs. Here we go.

Okay, that broke so fast you probably missed it.

Look at the teeth on that cap wrench on the bottom. There, okay one of

them blasted right off. So I'm going to fast-forward this a little bit to save you

guys some time. I worked on this for a little while and I kept at it.

Maximum setting again. A wonderful ranch by the way. And there we have glory! Oh that's worth watching again.

Let's watch it in slow-mo. Finally! I tried everything on this thing.

It finally come loose. It's still a little too tight for hand so I'm gonna go ahead and

take it a few more turns with the power wrench. Alright! Fantastic, now I can

finish taking it off by hand and we can have a look at how old this filter is.

Probably - I just this just came across me, but I'll tell you this filter

probably hasn't been changed for a while, given how hard it was to get it out.

So sure enough it is a very dirty, old filter so I'm going to be glad to get rid of that.

I'm sure the car is going to be happy now.

The brand new filter comes with an o-ring< And then I went ahead and picked

up this is the filler plug gasket. It's good to replace that as well. Here's the old one.

So we'll go ahead and put a new gasket on the filler plug as well.

Now if I pull up close you can see here where one of the ears is sheared off of the filter cap.

And then here's where one of the teeth broke right off the cap wrench.

I had to hammer like crazy to separate these things. They were really seized.

Now you can see the effects of various attempts to get this thing off.

You can see where the clamp wrench was gripped on. And this is the you know

here's the broken tooth on the on the cap wrench. So the new filter is on there.

To get the old o-ring off, you don't have to dig out it with a screwdriver or anything.

Just go ahead and squeeze it forward and it will pucker up and you will

be able to grab it and pull it off. And the new one, just put it on the clean

side over the filter like that. And once it's in the correct place, just put a

little oil, rub a little oil on there and it should be good. The Box does have

instructions. At least the OEM box has instructions. So you can make sure you get

the o-ring in the right place. And there's a few other useful instructions

on the box too. Well let's get this new filter on the car.

I've got it hand screwed on a little bit now. Forgive me, I'm gonna resist any temptation to put a

power tool on here. I'm just going to tighten this by hand.

Toyota's recommended torque (yes there is a recommended torque for this) it's less

than the filler plug. It's 18 FT-LBs. I recommend quite snug - that should be sufficient.

What you won't find are a bunch of Internet threads talking about

how these things fall off all the time because they're too loose. What do you do next?

You put the fresh oil in. in case you didn't

know, this is where that happens. What kind of oil do we put in? Well at least

with the Prius anyway, they like 0W20. So we're gonna go with the zero weight.

How much do we put in? Well as you can see I drained it into this container.

This is how much I took out. Liters on the left, Quarts on the right.

A little less than four quarts. So let's start with that. Once you've got your oil in

and you've got your level set, then we can go ahead and let the car know that

we changed the oil. We're going to do that by resetting the oil service light.

First, make sure that you're in Trip-A mode.

Then, shut things off. Keep your feet off the pedals. Now go ahead and hold down

that kilometre button. While you're holding it, press the power button once.

Now press the power button again. You'll hear five nice little chimes to tell you

you did it right. Okay, well that was definitely the toughest filter

I've ever had to take off somebody definitely over-torqued that thing.

If this helped you guys out, I hope you'll give a thumbs up and subscribe. Maybe share this

with somebody trying to do the same thing. Thanks for watching.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét